Sender:
From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 16:36:45 -0400
<I really don't think this is necessarily the truth as the two
disciplines are/should be thought of as one process-especially on the
electronic side of the coin.>

I agree they should be.  Truth is, however, that they are not always.
At the Long Beach ARMA Conference I was approached by a self-proclaimed
"expert" in ILM (and he may indeed be considered an expert by the ILM
industry) who offered to teach "proper" ILM to CRMs.  When I explained
the RIM concept of life cycle management, he said we made it too
complicated.  That managing electronic data and records based on
activity, while keeping everything forever in some format or media, made
things much simpler.  I think both IT folks and RIM folks need to
educate each other and come to agreement on many things - life cycle
management is one.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager