Sender:
From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 13:40:31 -0700
>Keep in mind, I was not criticizing UT for being exploited by some
>computer whiz. I just read how Auburn University had a "BOT Attack"

>that shut down their system. So as long as we have online computers we

>are always at the mercy of the next smart kid with a new attack idea.

>My post was to encourage ARMA and Records Managers to be more vocal

>about what Congress is doing to the Identity Theft legislation.

Although Identity Theft is making the news (I've been a victim; took me
months to clean my record) I think this premise could also apply to
corporate espionage, something most companies are dealing with on a daily
basis.  These same smart kids (as well as adults) are also seeking ways to
get into networks and cause damage.

Both are examples of where records managers can get involved.  I've had the
opportunity to help my IT department develop policies and processes to
prevent unauthorized release of information, whether customer/client files
or corporate restricted data.

If you organization has a committee that establishes policy on the
management of confidential information (whether individual or company) get a
seat at the table.  Create rules for employees to follow and include these
in the organization's Code of Conduct.  Establish classification categories
for records and include these in the retention schedule so employees know
which records should be protected.

>Therefore I predict UT will catch the felon who stole our files.  And

>then Texas justice will occur!  That's right, we will go make them live

>in College Station.  Oh the Humanity!

I'd say a more painful punishment would be to send them to Kutztown, PA (is
there really a town named Kutztown?) or somewhere in North Dakota.  At least
College Station has SOME form of nightlife.  And the big lights of Houston
(and Austin) are less than an hour away...

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP

San Diego, CA

TEL: 619-696-4671

FAX: 619-696-2534