Sender:
From:
Laura Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 11:29:42 -0400
This would be a great discussion to be within the list, as many
government entities are now using e-signature.  I worked with the
Defense travel system developing the recording of signatures by
traveling authorities and travelers.

Basically the signature is a code that is a pin inserted by the use of a
CAC card.  There were a number of things that are not allowed as you can
image, or are allowed under certain circumstances within federal travel.
These things popped up when the traveler requested his travel plans be
approved by the supervisor.  By default the system popped up warnings
that had to be pre-certified if the traveler asked for a larger car than
the economy size or if the traveler pre-claimed certain amounts of
reimbursement.  However certain things were allowed to be claimed and it
was better to over-estimate the costs of the travel, so the traveler had
to certify that the requests for reimbursement were allowed within scope
that went with the travel.

The pin was a certification record that was maintained by DISA and was
re-certified semiannually.  There was a private pin and a public pin,
but I am not sure I recall all the particulars.  Obviously the
discussion that involves monetary reimbursement is much in depth for
certification and auditing.

Ms. Laura F. Bell
DOT Directives & Records Management
Office of the Secretary of Transportation
202-366-9761