Sender:
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 14:16:50 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 5/8/06, Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In the old days you could go into a Blueprint shop and buy maps that
> show topological details, with heights above sea level and some had
> flood planes shown.  Now we have Google Earth which I cannot make work
> on my computer, alas it might be a Mac thing.

Might be more the browser you're using than a MAC thing. Some of this
information is designed to work with MS IE only and won't work with Firefox,
Camino or even Safari.  Sad, but true....

What you're referring to getting at Ye Olde Time BluePrint Shoppe were the
standard USGS Quads, in either 7.5 or 15 minute versions/detail.  These were
updated periodically (with purple text on the full color printed versions to
indicate new info from last printing) and you could also buy them at most
hiking and mountaineering shops for the major hiking areas.

But in working with RM and Records Centers, it would be great if you
> could down load a map that shows heights, 100 year and 1000 year flood
> planes and seismic zones. All in one of course.  Then you could choose
> the most secure location from natural threats for records center
> planning on site locations.

These are typically provided by the Army Corps of Engineers or your local
State Department of Water Resources , and again, updates are periodic.  I
know the ones for California have been updated rather recently due to
growing concerns (especially about the Sacramento River Drainage) on levee
strength and potential flooding.  Some of the concern has been driven by
business owners, some by insurers and risk managers, as it determines the
cost of premiums for certain types of damage.  I'm accustomed with them
indicating 100 and 500 year flood plains, as few of the ares where people
live now were populated, nor do detailed records exist, for 1000 years ago.

Here in the SF Bay Area, some of the earthquake maps that indicate locations
where they anticipate liquefaction caused by fill in former bay lands or
re-purposing of former garbage dumps, etc are of great use.  These also
indicate the areas where major shake activity is expected due to adjacency
to known fault lines and projections of activity or probability of events
impacting specific areas.  So while they may not indicate known flood
plains, these areas where they anticipate liquefaction would be indicative
of areas that may be underwater as we continue to face the effects of global
warming and areas subject to potential damage from and following an
earthquake may also be areas you'd not want to consider storing your
information assets.

Does such a thing exist on the Internet?  Even if I have to pay for the
> site like buying Standards it would be worth the money.  Since the
> client I was working with chose not to buy the below grade media vault
> site, we are now comparing the best locations to build one above grade.

What you'd likely need is ARCView or some of the higher level GIS software
that allows you to access and "strip" layers of information to get to what
you're looking for, and as indicated by others, it depends to what degree
the areas have been imaged and mapped electronically if you're seeking to
access it from public sources.

Speaking of great records centers, the City of Las Vegas built and
> awesome center and the records manager drove the project.

I agree with the earlier comment that this is a presentation begging to be
delivered, and what better venue than Las Vegas?

It could be the most beautiful records
> center I have ever seen. Sharon did the programming and was able to
> maintain control of the space planning throughout.

Knowing your definition of beautiful, I'm assuming you aren't speaking of
"aesthetically pleasing to the eye of a designer" =)   The last thing I'd
want to see is a record center designed to house Federal Records that
someone wasted money on aesthetics for!!!

The NFPA 232 Standard is opening the door for RM's to gain a strategic
> position in planning for the records center of the future.  ARMA should
> ask Sharon to outline the process of gaining control and maintaining
> control.

Well, we've had a couple of Standards Development Committee Task Forces
related to records centers for Physical and Electronic Records thus far, and
I haven't heard anyone mention Sharon's name as a possible participant
before this, HUGH... so I'd suggest Sharon be kept in mind for the next
revision of Record Center Operations, which should be in 3 years or so...
and a GREAT WAY for this to be addressed would be for her to take a look at
what's there now and see where there are perceived shortfalls or areas that
could be improved on... and SOMEONE might want to suggest to her to apply
for membership on the NFPA 232 Task Force, if her employer would support her
involvement.

My next trip to Vegas I am taking my digital camera to get
> some glamour shots of that records center.

Man, I'm sure we'll see these shots posted on the Internet too... but I
doubt they'll come up under the typical glamour shots associated with Las
Vegas!  <8^P

Larry
--
Larry Medina