Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 01:06:56 -0400
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Thanks to all that replied.  This RECMGMT site is so great for getting
the
full picture on researching a project.

On May 9, 2006, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

Snips from Larry
> From:    Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: U.S. Geological Maps or some such
>

> I'm accustomed with them indicating 100 and 500 year flood plains,
> as few of the ares where people live now were populated, nor do
> detailed records exist, for 1000 years ago.

I guess I will have to go to the Bible if I want to go that far back.
I specifically
remember a passage about the Red Sea splitting.   Just kidding Larry.  I
would never locate a records center at the bottom of the sea.

But an interesting thing I discovered on researching below grade
records centers
was the fact that sick days due to mold and mildew and even stress of
being below
grade will often impact workers compensation packages. OSHA also gave
some off
the cuff projections of differences in sick days and increased accident
rates.

> These also indicate the areas where major shake activity is expected
> due to
> adjacency to known fault lines and projections of activity or
> probability of events
> impacting specific areas.  So while they may not indicate known flood
> plains, these areas where they anticipate liquefaction would be
> indicative
> of areas that may be underwater as we continue to face the effects of
> global warming and areas subject to potential damage from and
> following an
> earthquake may also be areas you'd not want to consider storing your
> information assets.

Is this represented by increased insurance rates as you move closer to
a fault line?

> What you'd likely need is ARCView or some of the higher level GIS
> software
> that allows you to access and "strip" layers of information to get to
> what
> you're looking for, and as indicated by others, it depends to what
> degree
> the areas have been imaged and mapped electronically if you're seeking
> access it from public sources.

With a Mac I will start by trying to by the maps.

> I agree with the earlier comment that this is a presentation begging
> to be
> delivered, and what better venue than Las Vegas?

Well Carol is on the Listserv, so Carol here is a great presentation?
Oh, don't let
Sharon know I volunteered her for this presentation. :~)

> Knowing your definition of beautiful, I'm assuming you aren't speaking
> of
> "aesthetically pleasing to the eye of a designer" =3D)
What you assume a vault guy has no sense of style, no appreciation of
beauty?
Seriously, this is beautiful and cost efficient.  Plus it fits the
Nevada landscape.

> Well, we've had a couple of Standards Development Committee Task Forces
> related to records centers for Physical and Electronic Records thus
> far, and
> I haven't heard anyone mention Sharon's name as a possible participant
> before this, HUGH... so I'd suggest Sharon be kept in mind for the next
> revision of Record Center Operations, which should be in 3 years or
> so...

Keep in mind Sharon, I only mentioned the ARMA presentation.  It was
Larry
that put you on a Committee.

> and a GREAT WAY for this to be addressed would be for her to take a
> look at
> what's there now and see where there are perceived shortfalls or areas
> that
> could be improved on... and SOMEONE might want to suggest to her to
> apply
> for membership on the NFPA 232 Task Force, if her employer would
> support
> her involvement.

Well I can tell you that Sharon is focused and forceful in moving
towards her goals
and if NFPA keeps holding all the meetings in Vegas she would have an
easy travel time.

> My next trip to Vegas I am taking my digital camera to get
>> some glamour shots of that records center.
>
> Man, I'm sure we'll see these shots posted on the Internet too... but I
> doubt they'll come up under the typical glamour shots associated with
> Las
> Vegas!  <8^P

Ironically I have some beautiful shots of Sharon's Center but she would
need to post them.
I keep things confidential on design as we never know who is listening
in. But those who
know me are not surprised to find my IPHOTO and Kodak Files filled with
vaults, records centers, data centers and my kids.  And all the money I
make from the former,
ends up in the tuition accounts of the latter.

When Sharon finds out about all her new activities, I may be the
subject of CSI - Las Vegas
episode. Sharon, I will be wearing my typical Hawaiian shirt, kaki
shorts and wearing a knee
brace and you may not remember but I have grown a dark beard so you
will recognize me in
San Antonio. ;~()

Well I am off to research all the sites and ideas I received. Thanks
for all the help.

Larry and I may organize a trip to Austin to Sixth Street one night.
Then Bruce will see what
fun Austin has to offer. But the Riverwalk is amazing in San Antonio so
it may be hard to leave.
Be sure to book a hotel that exits right down onto the Riverwalk.  It
will be safer and easier.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134