Sender:
From:
Graham Kitchen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 08:04:28 -0700
I would like to add to this excellent suggestion.....

You will find that most organizations file material in the easiest and
fastest way because they hate filing.  They are filing to get the
material off their desk.  This is the wrong attitude.  They should be
filing so that they can find the information faster.

Spending a few more minutes filing  will allow them to find  the
information faster.  Remember the old commercial "you can pay me now, or
you can pay me later"?  Very few organizations need a file the way it is
normally set up.  For instance, lets take a personnel file....... Most
HR departments will place everything about that employee in one folder
and file it either alphabetically or by employee number, or some such.

This is what clogs up the retention and disposal process.  The documents
in a personnel folder have different retention requirements forcing a
labor-intensive process of weeding.

If the documents are separated into subject groups in the first place,
then it would be much easier to dispose of records that have reached
their destruction date.

When the HR person needs a personnel file, they need it for a specific
reason..... Like "to check vacation days for the employee"...... They
don't need the entire file.  If they get the entire file, they have to
thumb through information that is irrelevant to the search.

So.... You will be able to get the information they need much faster if
you only have to pull the file containing vacation data.  Maybe it is
called the "Time Sheets and Work Schedules" file that would include all
records of time scheduled and worked.  Also includes records of sick
time taken and records of vacations and leave.  Notice that the material
in this file has similar retention periods.

Anyway, all the best in your task.

GT

Graham Kitchen
Corporate Records Manager
Unified Western Grocers
5200 Sheila Street
Commerce, California 90040
Telephone:  (323)264-5200 Extension 4560
Cell:  (323)243-1865
email:  [log in to unmask]