Sender:
From:
Scott Hambrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:03:45 +0000
Roger,

Adding additional files to the off site records facility should not bea problem if you track and index each file in all of the containerswith a good records management software suite. Storing the records incartons or on open shelving and then merging new files into them willcertainly be labor intensive, as would indexing each container offiles. With creating an index you have the extra advantage of creatinga detailed accurate inventory of every file in your possession.

Additionally, if you leave open space in cartons or on shelves forinterfiling, you are essentially wasting space and/or boxes whilewaiting for the new files to be sent over and interfiled. Withindexing you can maximize storage density in your facility.

Indexing also allows you to find the file everytime, regardless offiling errors. If they are filed alphabetically and John Smith isfiled in the Johnson-Jones box, you will still be able to find it usingyour index. You probably couldn't by just merging and interfiling newfiles.

As far as your limited budget and labor are concerned, most softwarepackages allow multiple remote users. This could allow you to put theresponsibility for creating the index for each carton on the HRdepartment.

In my opinion, indexing is preferable to interfiling.

Wm. Scott Hambrick
President
Data Storage, Inc
www.datastorageinc.com