Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:10:02 -0700
From:
Steve Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Irene:

I started off as a file clerk in a law firm in Seattle. It was a branch
office of a Portland, OR based firm.

My responsibilities were:

Conflict of Interest Checks (If there was a conflict, it had to be
signed off by a managing partner)
Creation of Client Files from original paperwork (after Conflict Check)
Maintenance of Client Files - All folders (including different matters
but same client, expert folders, etc.)
Filing paperwork into specific file folders (but not files in attorney
offices. If a file was "checked out" to them, it was given to the
secretary or legal assistant assigned to that attorney)
Box & Index closed files
Retrieve & deliver file folders, not specific documents (the attorneys
figured out which ones they wanted)
Retrieve & deliver boxes (Mail staff would deliver also but they had a
retrieval slip & someone signed for the files &/or boxes)
Organization of files
Moving of boxes
File/Box Transfer to clients or branches

The Pleadings Indexes were up to the secretary or Legal Assistant. We
just files into a pleadings folder. Although each one was index in the
RIM program.

File clerks were not assigned to attorneys. Everyone did the same thing.
Whatever needed to be done got done by whoever was available at that
time. Plus, if anyone was ever out, everyone was familiar with
everything (perfect cross training). Plus, it distributed the workload
evenly.

Our files were bar-coded. I had hired one person to come in on weekends
to go through every office to rescan every file & download the
information into the computer. That way, when we came in on Monday, the
most recent location of the file was known.

There was a line in the job description that said "other duties as
assigned".

Steve Morgan
C.J. Segerstrom & Sons, Records Manager
714.438.3228 Phone