Sender:
From:
"Isaacs, Leigh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:26:12 -0400
Larry:

Your assessment, I believe, is correct.  There are many varying factors within firms, and in larger firms with multi-offices, even differences between offices depending upon local management, culture, practice group needs, etc.  I definitely think that there should be documentation on the skill set and desired/required competencies for Legal RIM staff.  Law firms really do have specific needs and concerns that are not universal to all industries.  That being said, I think all law firms face similar challenges, and while not any one solution serves all, there are basic guidelines that would provide flexibility to "make the pieces fit" regardless of what size or structure of firm you may be in.  What do you suggest as the first step in collecting this documentation for the competencies project?

Leigh Isaacs | Firmwide Records Manager | HellerEhrmanLLP | 1717 Rhode Island Avenue, NW | Washington, DC 20036