Sender:
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:23:38 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 9/25/06, Tommy Fricks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> An important step has been to help preserve deteriorating engineering
> drawings from throughout  63-year history by moving them into
> Livelink ECM.  that could help the
> organization address government rules for managing correspondence and
> official records, including the Government Paperwork Elimination Act;
> the Electronic Records and Signatures and Global and National Commerce
> Act, known as the E-Signature Act; and the Office of Scientific and
> Technical Information.
>
> We're working on an accelerated schedule to
> move legacy records into Livelink ECM."
>
> So far,  migrated more than 160,000 records from
> various systems to Livelink ECM.  "We are currently paying storage fees
> for
> legacy paper records being kept at the Federal Records Center in
> Seattle. By using the records management capabilities in Livelink ECM,
> we can store documents electronically. That can save us thousands of
> dollars that would otherwise be spent on storing hard copies of
> documents."
>
> One of the strengths of Livelink ECM is document version-control.
> "Within our Integrated Document Management System (IDMS), our records
> area receives final correspondence packages. The package includes a list
> of all attachments for each letter, as well as a record showing who
> reviewed the correspondence package," "Before it goes
> into the records area, we remove older versions of the correspondence
> package. For auditing purposes, we archive older versions of the package
> separately."

Original post snipped for brevity...

I found the aspects of this system above rather interesting and it makes it
sound as though this is a rather robust offering.

I was especially interested in the discussion about moving legacy
information stores, specifically images of engineering drawings into the
system.... wonder if these are coming across in their native CAD formats and
retaining all of their external links to 3rd party design software and
documents, or only as raster images (PDF, TIFF, etc.) that are available for
reference, but unusable for further revisions.

I was also intrigued by the discussion about elimination of storage of paper
documents, especially given that many of these documents have a 75 year or
longer retention period. What consideration was given to the cost of
periodic migration and the possible need for conversion of these files to
allow access to them for their required retention period, and are they being
stored in formats that will be acceptable to NARA for transfer into the ERA
system when the time comes for that eventuality?

Finally the "correspondence package" concept is interesting.  This indicates
that the final e-mail (and all attachments) are stored as a unit, and states
that earlier revision are archived (in an IT sense of archiving).  What are
the capabilities of searching this repository of packages to find content of
attachments and what about the archive, is it searchable as well?

How does this system account for attachments included in a "package" where
the document attached is owned by someone other than the sender and the
attachment is subject to the possibilities of revisions happening after this
package is considered final?

Inquiring minds NEED to know!!

Larry
--