Sender:
From:
Jan Ferrari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:32:21 -0600
After being in RM for 5 years, I am getting another degree (MS in IT) to
improve my career chances. Glad to hear someone else thinks this is an
option!

Jan

Jan Ferrari
Records and Information Management Analyst
Lower Colorado River Authority
P.O. Box 220 / H300
Austin, TX 78767-0220
512-473-3200

>>> Brent Reid <[log in to unmask]> 11/17/2006 8:01 AM >>>
"I wonder if this brings us full circle. I know that there are consultants

out there that are, if not expert in both IT and RM - and business!, they

are at least comfortable in both. But they, too, are too few and far

between. "

There are consultants that know IT, RM and Business. I am one of them and
have another consultant working with me that has similar qualifications.

We don't have all the letters behind our names, but we have the experience
and the knowledge to successfully design and implement eRM systems. (and
we
are doing so every day).

Personally, I don't see how anyone could call themselves an eRM consultant
if they didn't have expertise in all three areas.

Otherwise how could they:

*         Design a File Plan that fits the business needs of the client.

*         Design the system architecture that will support users in the
main
office, at remote offices and working from home.

*         Reengineer business processes to take advantage of the new
system
(processes don't redesign themselves)

*         Work with the IT department to troubleshoot the inevitable
issues
that arise when implementing an eRM system.

*         Etc. etc.

IMHO any eRM consultant that isn't well versed in all three areas best
have
some associates that complement their skillsets. Otherwise they have no
business attempting to design or implement an eRM system. The client would
end up trying to drive a car that only has three wheels, or worse !

I don't believe that people with all three skillsets are that few and far
between. But perhaps I am more unique than I thought <grin>.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't settle. If you are going to
implement an eRM system INSIST that the consultants you hire can
demonstrate
good working knowledge of all three areas. They should also be able to
reference SUCCESSFUL implementations that they have completed. Also, make
sure you know exactly what role they played in each implementation, as
perhaps they designed the File Plan, but had nothing to do with the system
architecture. Be sure to ask about failed projects too. That can often be
more enlightening that tales of successes. (and often times there are more
failures than successes.)

</soapbox>

My .02

Brent