Sender:
From:
Donna-Marie Jutras <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:30:51 EST
When I worked at the EPA as a records manager our structure was called a
break system
ie R-1A had to do with all Part A permit files, R-1B correlated to Part B
permit files. We asked IT to add a field into our electronic database software
called "break" and when you selected this field during the course of indexing
a  record, a picklist with all the major categories in the classification
scheme appeared (14 I believe) and the indexer chose the appropriate one from
the picklist. This worked very well for us and it allowed the user to request
records pertaining to a specific project appearing in a specific break. For
example, the user could ask for all the Pratt & Whitney Middleton files that
appeared in the R-1A break. Hope this helps.

Donna Marie Jutras