Sender:
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:57:20 -0800
From:
Mimi Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Lee Ann,

  This is a subject near and dear to my heart at the moment, because I have the good fortune to learn imaging as we create our records department at Cheniere Energy.  Right now, it's me and our Records Assistant who are addressing the imaging backlog.  Our Director checks on our progress every few weeks as we're tackling the backlog.

  Let me setup our situation.  Box count: we have roughly 75 boxes of backlog from 2004-->present day. Document types: accounts payable, journal entries, cancelled checks, trading contracts, and legal contracts. Nothing was QC'ed before I arrived, because my Director was a one person shop until June of this year and...come on, she was setting up the records retention schedule and file plan for Documentum!

  Ok, here are a couple of loose observations that may assist you.

  1. Keep a scanning status log.  You're looking for less than 3% errors from your scanning vendor.  Our headings include:
  Box No.: Cheniere box number assigned
  Document Type: AP/JE/Checks/Trading Contracts/Legal Contracts
  Document Detail: Simple description of box contents
  Vendor: Especially useful if you change imaging vendors
  Status-Scanned: Date
  Status--Indexed: Date
  Page Count: Total pages in box
  Total Documents: Total documents in box
  Data Delivered: CD/FTP upload date
  Boxes Returned: Boxes delivered back to Cheniere
  QC Completed: Date
  Status-QC: Employee name
  Total Errors: Number of errors
  % Errors: Number of errors/number of documents
  Date Errors Corrected

  2. Service Level Agreement: This is a great tool to keep everyone on the ball, including you, especially when it comes to service from your vendor and rescans.  Stay on top of this.  Sections might include:
    Services Offered  Hours of coverage
  Measurement and reporting
  Financial Impact  Financial Contacts
  General Overview
  Customer environment
  Customer contact persons
  Terms and Conditions
  Agreement period  Agreement review  Hours of coverage  Incident management service goals  Supported services and charges  Services provided   Charges  Departments and records types scanned  Party responsibilities
  Customer responsibilities  Offsite Vendor responsibilities  Service measures and reporting  Financial impact
  Customer incidents

  3. Double Monitors.  Beg, borrow, steal another monitor for each of you from the IT department.  That way, you can search for and bring up the image on the left hand side, and have the QC log on the right.  You'll be the envy of everyone!  You can get a video card for a $100 and it will save you from minimizing and maximizing different screens, which is a time waster.

  4. QC Log.  My QC log has the following columns (and I have a worksheet per type of document/per month.  So, one sheet is for October AP (which is two boxes).
  Box __ of __
  Voucher Name
  Attached Is
  Page Number in the Image
  Should Have
  Comments

  5. Calendar.  I have a project calendar for Q4 to complete the backlog, and while it needs some adjusting, we're pushing through December as much as we can.  Even though I attend meetings each day, I can finish QC'ing a box in two days.  Keep in mind people get sick and have to go on vacation or conferences/workshops, so when scheduling, remember to mark those days as taken.

  6. Rescans.  I fill up a box and then return it to our offsite vendor with a cover sheet for each batch of errors to be rescanned that says:
  Rescans
  QC--Mimi
  Type of document/month
  Box __ of __

  That's all I can think of at the moment, but if you need more information, let me know!

  Mimi Dionne