Sender:
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:05:23 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
IANABDNRBTSEC (I am not a broker/dealer nor regulated by the SEC). As I have
read the relevant section, 17 CFR 240.17a-3 defines who is required to
comply, and 17 CFR 240.17a-4 requires that broker/dealers keep REQUIRED
communications regardless of media for three or six years depending on the
nature of the communication.

So it's not every single communication, but only relevant ones. That said, I
suspect a lot of companies are erring on the side of caution and in fact
keeping everything a broker/dealer sends or receives for the three or six
years as applicable.

From the guidance below,

"Rule 17a-3 requires broker-dealers to make certain records, including trade
blotters, asset and liability ledgers, income ledgers, customer account
ledgers, securities records, order tickets, trade confirmations, trial
balances, and various employment related documents. Rule 17a-4 specifies the
manner in which the records created in accordance with Rule 17a-3, and
certain other records produced by broker-dealers, must be maintained."

17a-3: http://www.law.uc.edu/CCL/34ActRls/rule17a-3.html
17a-4: http://www.law.uc.edu/CCL/34ActRls/rule17a-4.html
Guidance from the SEC which relates:
http://www.sec.gov/rules/interp/34-47806.htm

I strongly encourage everyone to read the guidance if not the actual
statutes. I couldn't quickly find a cite on a .gov site for the rules, but
I'm sure someone else can provide. :)

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
YIM: jessewilkins8511
SL: Jesse8511 Market
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.