Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:48:04 -0500
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Snips from Patrick

> Date:    Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:19:32 -0800
> From:    Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: tape back up question
>
> --- Linda Buss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> When backing up server data, is there a way (or software application)
>> segregate the information according to a records retention schedule?
>
> Well, the first part of this answer is that you need to be very
> specific in defining things for IT.
>
> A Backup is created for business continuity or disaster recovery
> purposes. PERIOD. The Backup should have an extremely limited
> maintenance period (I'm deliberately not saying "retention"). The
> backup contains whatever information on the server is needed for
> restoration of the company's systems and data in the event of the loss
> of the facility or the server. That's it. A Backup is not intended to
> be used as long term storage of data.

I agree with everything Patrick says, it is a very accurate summation,
with the exception of:
> But what you should not be worried about are Backups. Be very precise
> about that.

I would phrase this differently when you talk to IT or better yet
when you talk to the CFO.

  1) You should be worried that they create back ups.  Your job
depends on those
surviving for the continuity  of the organization.
  2) Telling IT you don't care about backups is like IT telling you
they don't care about
protecting records.

It is just a semantics issue. You care about the backups but that is
not your job.
They need to turn the information on those disks or tapes or
cartridges over to you
so you can turn them into records with retention schedule and
classifications. There
are software packages and even vendors that can do that conversion
for you much
like evaulting is done for you.

The problem in the IT Industry right now is without a system to
overlay the Classification
and the accurate inventory of where it resides and specific details
of the format it is in,
they cannot comply with the new Federal Rules and this is huge for
Records Management.
A special disk from the disk to disk will come to you and you will
reinterpret them so it is in
a format the lawyers can use.

> Backups generally cannot be created in a manner that allows
> you to assign proper retention periods. The point of backups is to
> readily restore needed information in the aftermath of a disaster.
> Don't let scope creep enter into that process. And don't let anyone
> tell you that Backups need to be retained as records. They are not
> designed to serve as recordkeeping systems -- they are designed to
> quickly preserve and restore business critical information.

> Patrick Cunningham, CRM

IT does what they do best and with the insertion of a little
technology, you do what you do best.
I have heard it described as the Shotgun Wedding of IT and RM.

Or as the old joke went:

"Well shoot Jake!  That's the third bunch of sheep we passed, can't
we just pick one?"
"Luke, you nearsighted fool!   You want a pretty one, don't cha!"

Now I gone and done it!  I have offended Chris Flynn and the non-
citified folks up there in IDeeeHO.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Technic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.