Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:49:33 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 1/10/07, Krogh-Michna, Debi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have to store x-rays of our gas pipeline in our records storage
> warehouse, does anyone have any experience with storing x-rays?  I haven't
> started doing research and thought I would start with the list serve
> first.  Thanks in advance.

Ginny is spot-on (as usual =) ) about the storage conditions and need to
store x-rays independent of paper, etc.

When I was in the Utility Industry, we had a large volume of pipe weld
radiographs that we were required to retain, some based on DOT requirements
"for the Life of the Facility, plus 40 years".

One thing you will find is these are quite heavy and can't be stored in
normal boxes.  Depending on the format, you may need to either get boxes
made to order, or look to the organization who produces the x-rays and ask
them to retain the film boxes for your use.

They also require shelving designed to manage the extra load, and because of
the weight, you won't want to be storing these on tall shelving units,
especially if you're in a seismically active area.  The requirement  for
handing these heavy boxes up and down ladders makes them a bit of a safety
risk and ergonomic concern also.

Larry

--
Larry Medina