Sender:
From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:45:30 -0800
Gerard, applications can generate a multiplicity of record series or
types. While I would agree with you that records retention rules are
best addressed at the early stages in determining business needs and
deciding on the tools (or applications) that would meet those needs, it
is not correct to state that there is a one-to-one relationship between
record series and applications. Nor is it necessarily true that all
applications generate records. Note that retention gets applied at the
record series level. This gets back to my original point - you are
describing a tape backup strategy that actually may make perfectly good
sense at an application level, however, it does not necessarily meet the
demands of a record keeping system.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741