Sender:
From:
"John J. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:46:40 -0500
While ERKS systmes benefit from users' desire for enhanced access to
information, that has never been my primary motivator in automating RIM
process.  Rather, the motivator has been to enable a comprehensive,
systematic management of the recorded information resource.

IMO, there will always be hydrid record series, whether the hydrid is
digital and CD ROM, paper or microfilm, etc. Paper is merely a medium -- one
that has as much legitimacy in a defined context as any other. That is,
absolutely appropriate in some contexts, clearly inappropriate in others. So
long as a fraudulent signature may involve study of the pressure with which
a pen is held as seen in the written result, and so long as customer service
means going half-way with customers who do not care to interact with you
electronically (for a variety of increasingly legitimate reasons), so long
as the population served represents the extremes in computer literacy, and
so long as storage of electronic data requires physical containers, then I
am happy to manage hybrid records.  Media is relevant as a consideration in
cost effective management decisions, but otherwise should be a factor of
organizational effectiveness and values.

Re paper, generally, it is portable and legible in circumstances digital
data is not. Period. That view does not make me a dinasaur, or a luddite.
I've been using electronic means to create and manipulate data since my
Kaypro II and its C/PM operating system. I'm with Nolene and Lorinda on the
computer literacy front.  For a brief summary of my IT progress, check out
my GET page at:
http://www.irmstrategies.com/global/story.html (and if anyone is intersted
in the Global Engagement Trust, a movement to get people active on the net,
do jump in).

John James O'Brien, CRM, MALT
IRM Strategies
www.irmstrategies.com