Sender:
From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:37:39 -0600
Winter finally hits the Midwest- Do you know how quickly -21 degree
windchill brings a mind into focus early in the morning ?

As part of the project to upgrade/reinvent our RIM program and begin the
search for a software solution(tool/tools) to manage the program I was
asked to flowchart our current and future process
states(physical/electronic).  This was quite an eye-opener to many on our
project team as they didn't think the process was that complicated.  These
flowcharts will be quite useful in many aspects of our program and I would
encourage all RIM programs to do the same.  I won't go into all the
reasons they can help here but here's my dilemma.

I'm being pushed to limit the start of my future process state flowcharts
at the point in time that something is declared a record.  I've started
both the physical/electronic process flows at the creation/capture step
and  am having trouble getting the point across that in todays world
Records & INFORMATION Management needs to include that portion of the
equation formally know as DM.   I've used the chain of custody,litigation
discovery, knowledge mgt,4 good record tenets, transparency when declared
as record,new civil procedure rules,etc explanations without much success.

  The response keeps coming back that it's like the free world vs the
communist state and that  I shouldn't care until it's a record what's done
with it and how it's managed.  In some instances such as nonbusiness
related information this is true BUT the instant something is considered a
business document or business related it's to our advantage to bring it
into our process.

Am I off-base in making this part of the flowchart process or what have
others used in explaining the why to non RIM personnel.

Thanks in advance

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc