Sender:
From:
"John James O'Brien, CRM, MALT" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:35:11 -0500
Similar to Lorinda's example, I have a colleague at a multi-national power
corporation who is able to receive yahoo mail, but who cannot access the
groups.  This is a chore becuase she is on a company sanctioned board that
uses Yahoo Groups, as many non-profits and associations do. The groups are
notorious for being subject to spam, but one can control and isolate that.

One problem was touched on in an earlier response. Some organizations
require pre-approval of any communication that might be perceived as
reflecting the views of the organization or its officers.  This broadly
worded policy has serious implications in so far as it limits reciprocity.
I found, when serving as Director, the Government Records Service &
Principal Archivist, HKSARG, that neither I nor my staff could freely engage
professionally in such lists due to our responsibility to ensure clearance
and the real limitations in professional exchange that is one sided, i.e.
asking, but not giving, information. (In personal terms, it felt very
isolating and was a factor in deciding not to accept another contract!) I
offer a personal example to illustrate that clamping down on communication
methods to avoid spam can be a "fix that fails".

There is increasing debate in some circles that 19th Century models of
control over knowledge use and ownership are slowing IC development.  Lack
of granularity in the design of policies and mechanisms that control what
must be truly safeguarded and while enabling "free" exchange that
contributes to overall advance of society may become a very big issue in the
decade ahead.