Sender:
From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:22:51 -0800
Back in the olden days before voice mail, telephone detail used to be one of
the first things we would be asked to pull together when we started a
document production. Phone detail & expense statements - who have you been
talking to and who have you had lunch with. I've produced the same records
here and recently. I can see interest in voice mail whether or not the
message is still there. Just the fact a call has been received from a
particular number could be valuable to someone. But of course there are
several ways to get the same information.

Unified Messaging is a great convenience. Personally I love it. At home I
have Comcast not only for cable TV, but internet and phone service as well.
I can access my email and my voice mail on the web through any PC. Very
cool. I carry a Blackberry for work. Again I can access my messages, voice
or data, from anywhere there is service.

Ok, so where in the heck am I going with this? It would seem to me you would
want your voice mail "stubs" to be retained for the same length of time as
your overall phone voice detail. But then again, I'm thinking why retain a
stub? If you're looking at your messaging system organically, should you not
retain everything for the same time? ***PLEASE NOTE THAT I KNOW SOME EMAILS
& POSSIBLY VOICE MAILS ARE RECORDS AND SHOULD BE RETAINED FOR WHATEVER
TIMEFRAME YOUR RETENTION SCHEDULE STATES*** - I'm talking about the
messaging system itself. (this would normally be the fine print at the
bottom of the contract but I wanted you all to see it).

Last week the list was talking about an email archive. Using an email
archiving tool that has been implemented properly you can manage your
messaging in a manner that will facilitate compliance with a policy setup as
I described in high level above. I'll be more experienced in this soon as we
will be installing ours in a couple weeks.

Rock on!
Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA

PS Saw Robben Ford last week. He was good!