Sender:
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:37:48 -0600
From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
About 7 years ago we redacted SSNs from an electronic record series
distributed to a number of offices. Several thousand hours were spent
removing SSNs.

The boys in IT cook up an idea to migrate the images to a better RAID
server. Between that and an upgrade for the browser plug the redacted
images are back to the original and the redactions lost in a "version
upgrade."

One day someone calls and asks about an SSN on a document. I figured it
must be one missed in the current redaction but I find that it is a
document from 1993. Moving forward in the sequence I find that all the
redactions are missing on those documents as well. "I don't know what
happened" was the IT response. We figured it out as we looked back at
actions taken on the physical storage. I guess Records Management was
left out of the loop. We redacted them all again.

Sometimes the best of plans come apart when "upgrades" are made. Watch
your redactions out there.....

Ray Cunningham