Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:58:47 -0400
From:
Carol Choksy <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Colleagues:

PMP does stand for Project Management Professional. This certification shows
you know the basics of managing any type of project from beginning to end.
The requirements are basically three years of project management experience
in a variety of phases of projects (that takes at least a day to document!)
and 35 hours of education. I received mine in 2006. I put it off for six
years because I couldn't find a class that fit my schedule until right
before I took the test. Almost anyone can take the CAPM (cannot remember the
acronym), as it is for people who have been managing either parts of
projects or whole projects but cannot yet document the three years
experience.

This certification is given by PMI (Project Management Institute), a global
institute with 277,000 members, about half of whom are certified. I got it
because everything I do is a project. I need continuing education credits
and just love the education most of which is management of really
troublesome situations, like decision-making (don't let the expert speak
first), conflict management (know when and how to work it out and when to
fire the person or resign) and managing teams (some very counter-intuitive
issues there, like creating ground-rules and calling people out to the rest
of the team when they are not in compliance, like "bring data, not
innuendo," sort of like a football coach). The learning opportunities from
other members is also wonderful because they recommend books and articles
that are just great. They have local chapters as well as SIGs, both of which
are wonderful for continuing education units: local chapters for live, and
SIGs for pre-recorded (and live) webinars.

Even if you don't get the PMP, the education is great.

Best wishes,
Carol

Carol E.B. Choksy, Ph.D., CRM, PMP

CEO