Sender:
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:14:26 -0400
Subject:
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
On Oct 30, 2008, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From:    WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Offsite Storage Box Stacking
>
> Regarding the telephone book analogy, note that many fire codes to not
> allow the stacking of boxes directly on the floor and against an
> adjoining wall. I've been told by our fire folks that this is due
> to the
> danger of spontaneous combustion in certain conditions, and also
> because
> it restricts the flow of fire suppressants into affected areas. Note,
> however, that I have never had a fire marshal complain about
> stacking on
> pallets against a wall. I

In the new sprinkler design that has proved remarkably effective, a
company by the name of DACS has created a product called fluekeeper
that ensures boxes leave a flu space at the side of compartment of
records for each grouping of boxes 3x3x3 or 3x3 x2. This creates a
simple standard transverse flue space thus allowing water to run down
each side of the bay of records thus insulating that one bay via a
water curtain.  This same company also created punchdeck which allows
water to run through shelves.  (This I am not so excited about as
records centers stack so densely that they holes are covered by
boxes.  But fire marshals love them and in many cases call for them.)

But these simple bars can be installed in existing records centers
and keep boxes from creeping into flue spaces and allow for proper
sprinkler distribution in a bay.  You can see examples of this at
www.fluekeeper.com.  It is a simple, elegant way to increase
sprinkler performance in a records center.  These simple units click
right into the teardrop slots of the rack.  Whether your widths would
allow them is another question.

Defined flue spaces allow for proper distribution of water.  The rep
for DACS is Gary Smith. (No relation.)

Stacking pallets against a wall has several disadvantages, the wall
will cause mold and mildew to more rapidly move into the boxes and
the wood pallets attract varmints (termites, etc.) and the wood
pallets break down over time.

I once won a vault order because I showed the credit union that their
file folders touching the concrete wall would be exposed to mold and
mildew due to the migration of moisture through the concrete wall.
The President of the Credit Union said I was being preposterous.
(Well, we all know I am so what could I say?)  But he walked back
into the vault and pulled the file folders from the back corner where
there is the least air flow and the whole back edge was black with
mold. The records manager was surprised that he was unaware of this.

These fluekeeper bars would eliminate records coming in contact with
concrete block or poured concrete walls.

I am surprised that not one person ventured an opinion about whether
they are pulling less boxes per month now than five years ago?  This
would seem to be a management statistic that would be of interest.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM