Sender:
From:
"Lauren K. Glaettli" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:18:01 -0400
Good Morning Everyone -

I'm highly confused and need the help of more experience professionals than
myself!  However, let me first give a bit of background on myself so you
know where I'm coming from.

I have two and half years experience with archives (I worked closely with
the University Records Manager during this time), an MLIS, and three years
in my current position. My current position is with a company that
administers benefit plans, such as, 401(k) and Section 125 plans. We are a
very small company in that there are under forty employees. Our work
consists of evaluating participants personal data and then determining how
much money or stock should be allocated to their stock account. The records
we produce are very sensitive in nature as they deal with social security
numbers, compensation, and dates of birth, etc.

My issue is this:

I recently proposed to management that we establish a more robust records
management policy and consolidate the mangement of the RM Policy into one
position (mine). The problem is that I have no idea where to start. We
currently have a Document Destruction Policy that gives retention schedules
for how long we will keep the working papers involved with our client's
allocations, as well as, how long we will keep their legal documents and tax
forms in addition to any other paperwork we may create.

For those of you who work for benefits companies how do you all handle your
RM programs? How long do you keep your working papers as opposed to the
legal documents and tax forms? Do you follow federal regulations or the
regulations of the states in which your clients are located?

I appreciate any advice that anyone can provide me!

Thank you!

Lauren

--
Lauren K. Glaettli