Sender:
From:
Dwight WALLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:14:48 -0700
Angel, the floor space cited for the cabinet is underestimated. If the
cabinet is 4 square feet fully extended, you need to add an addition minimum
3 feet from the end of the fully extended drawer for access; 5  feet if the
drawer is facing into a passageway (these relate to various OSHA/ADA
requirements, which may vary locally, but have generally held in the
jurisdictions I've worked in). 5 square feet then becomes 7 - 9 square feet.
This is why lateral file cabinets are more space efficient.

Also, the floor square footage estimate, even fully loaded, seems high for
most US cities. Portland, for example, would be half or less of $50. This is
particularly true in today's economy.

The imaging numbers also seem a bit high, but are subject to so many
variables that I can't really comment, other than that I tend to use a
$0.10/image average, recognizing that some projects will be considerably
more expensive and others less so. These rates tend to appear less expensive
in the corporate world, where many of the challenges relate to scale, not
necessarily the complexity of a given record; more expensive in the local
government world, where the opposite is true.
--
Dwight Wallis, CRM
Multnomah County Records Management Program