Sender:
From:
"Lipscomb, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 11:36:08 -0400
AALL Private Law Libraries SIS Change as Action Summit: July 23, 2011    8:30-5:00 p.m.
Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia PA in conjunction with the 2011 AALL Annual Meeting

Register now<http://www.aallnet.org/main-menu/Education/events/attendees/registration> and find out what all the buzz is about -- Have we got great PLL-focused programming planned for you!
Along with our fabulous keynote speaker, visionary Esther Dyson, the day is jam-packed with intriguing sessions that will change the way you work and view your law firm.

Morning break-out sessions will give participants a chance to discuss the series of Law Firm Management programs held throughout the past year.  Each session will be repeated, giving participants an opportunity to attend two of the five programs and explore practical solutions for understanding the needs of firm administration.

*         What Law Firm Administrators Want Librarians to Know - Joan Axelroth, moderator
*         Moving beyond the Library Walls to Support Strategic Knowledge Management - Steve Lastres, moderator
*         Unraveling the Mysteries of the Law Firm Marketing Department - Kathy Skinner, moderator
*         Technology and the Law Firm Library: Finding Common Ground - Greg Lambert, moderator
*         The Legal Learning Challenge: Creating Successful Training Programs in Today's Law Firm Environment - Sara Eakes, moderator

In the afternoon, thought-provoking speakers will lead programs in tracks on library administration, reference/research, and technology services. Programs will highlight practical skills and knowledge information professionals need to be a player and change agent in their law firms.

Joan Axelroth of Axelroth & Associates - Trying on the Latest Law Firm Business Buzzwords for Size
Legal project management, commoditization, legal process outsourcing are just a few of the concepts and techniques our Managing Partners and C-levels hear about as solutions for surviving and thriving in the new economic reality.  How do these business ideas effect the library?  What should we know about them?  Do they apply to our own operations and, if so, how?  This session explores several of these concepts and their possible application to the world of information management.
Mary Ellen Bates of Bates Information Services Inc. - From Search to Insight: Adding Value Where It Counts
To fully demonstrate value, informational professionals must strategize and think beyond sophisticated information retrieval to insight-driven research.  Mary Ellen looks at how informational professionals can change their deliverables to add high-impact value to their research results, and make themselves irreplaceable.

Colleen Fitzgerald Cable of Cable & Clark and Katherine Lowry of Baker Hostetler - Using Statistics: How to Speak the Language and Demonstrate Value
Over the past several years, law firms have evolved into strategic businesses that operate more like corporations and less like partnerships.  This change has deeply affected internal departments; communicating value has become the primary function of management.  What is the best way to conduct internal assessments and prove value in a language that will be accepted by law firm leadership? In this session, the speakers will demonstrate the proper analysis and statistical reporting that will best express the library's value within its organization.

Joelle Coachman of McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP - Resistance is Futile
Savvy information professionals know that social media has become a valuable component of information delivery, and a useful tool for research.  However, we may be resistant to adopting social strategies and activities for our own professional development.  Social media is present a different way a way to engage with our clients and will be key to your future professional advancement.  Cultivate a willingness to engage!  Control and create your own space in Web 2.0!

David Curle of Outsell, Inc. - Legal Publishers and the Transformation of the Legal Services Industry
This presentation will look at trends in the legal information industry and their implications for law firms and private law libraries.  How have legal publishers changed in the past 15 years?  What drives legal publishing, particularly for the Big Three of Thomson Reuters, LexisNexis, and Wolters Kluwer?  What are some of the disruptive forces at work in the industry - the new technologies or business models that will reshape the next 15 years?   How can firm law libraries respond?  How have other info industries responded to similar changes?

Barbara Fullerton of Morningstar, Inc. - Trendy Gadgets and Applications
A review of the best new technology gadgets and applications  - find out how they'll impact the workplace and library services. Gadgets like smartphones, keyboards, cameras, iPads, Kindle, and mobile applications all are playing a significant role in our daily routines. Which should we be looking at? How can we incorporate them into our services? What are the best brands for the legal workplace? These questions and more will be answered.

Larry Guthrie of Covington & Burling LLP and Doug Malerba of McKenna Long and Aldridge - Collaboration in Libraries
Everything old is new again -- Collaboration among libraries is the latest buzz word for developing communities and resource sharing as well as marketing and professional promotion.  Doug Malerba from McKenna Long and Aldridge will speak about collaborating as a full-time telecommuting librarian.
Gary D. Price of INFOdocket.com and FullTextReports.com on techniques for finding and exploiting the best internet sites for your users.
Sabrina I. Pacifici of LLRX.com and beSpacific.com Leveraging Current Awareness Sources and Services - Positioning, Balancing, Reaching Out
Programs, applications and resources, including branding, SharePoint, blogs, video tutorials, Twitter and other current awareness and monitoring applications can be used to leverage and provide consistent, reliable, diverse and comprehensive information that strengthen your library's visibility and value.

Register  at http://www.aallnet.org/main-menu/Education/events/attendees/registration. Cost is $145 for a full day of focused programming, meal functions and all hand-outs, a bargain thanks to our sponsors - LexisNexis, Wolters Kluwer, Priory Solutions, BNA,  and Law 360.

Pamela Lipscomb
Manager of Reference Services

Arent Fox LLP | Attorneys at Law
1050 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC  20036-5339
202.857.6269 DIRECT | 202.857.6395 FAX
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.arentfox.com<http://www.arentfox.com>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please do not read, distribute, or take action in reliance upon this message. Instead, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your computer system. We do not waive attorney-client or work product privilege by the transmission of this message.

IRS Circular 230 disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise, any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.