Sender:
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:57:03 -0400
Hi Hugh,
Not sure what kind of answers you will get from the ListServ, but as an
"old" Records Manager and Consultant a Data Map is essentially an inventory
of electronic records by record categories or business processes to enable
the retrieval of electronic records when needed.  The term data map
appeared on the scene as electronic discovery became more prominent.  Of
course, a new term was applied because this is not "records managment" :)
Useful?  yes, of course but just like the "old" records inventories they
are obsolete almost immediately, due to the movement of records.  This is
even more of an issue in the electronic world because IT departments are
constantly changing the location of electronic files to manage their "very
expensive" space. :)

I don't believe there is a standard data map template - I've worked with
several different versions over the past few years.  Data maps usually have
more metadata than the old records inventories, but then they also require
a lot more upkeep because they are a "finding" tool of electronic records
that change locations fairly often.  The old Records Inventories were
primarily a tool to help develop a records retention schedule and therefore
functioned as a snapshot in time.

The idea is great, but difficult to manage.  Those highly paid consultants
usually develop a data map when they are working on a discovery project.

Hope this provides a little insight.

Mary
Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371