Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:48:39 +0000
From:
"Johnson, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Hi Earl,
I moved about 10,000 files while working in a large social service state agency and the file room was still "open for business".

1. Inventory your files to ensure (a) you are keeping/moving files that belong in that file room and (b) track down files that you are responsible for but are not on the shelf.
 You may want to inventory more than once if you have the time.

2. Enforce file checkout procedures- cheerfully and nicely- but make sure all your staff is doing that consistently. It becomes more important as moving day approaches. You know the file you cannot put your hand on is the one everybody needs  :)

3. Be aware of your confidential files. You may want to assign particular staff to inventory, pack and seal those cartons- especially if you will have a third party moving the cartons.

4. Inform your customers that the file room is moving and set expectations for service while cartons are being moved and afterward, if necessary.

I worked with my regular customers and tried to fill needs as much as possible before cartons were moved.   Yes- while doing inventory and packing. Nobody said this would be easy but in my situation the move brought two very different staff units I was managing together into one team that was positive, hard-working and helpful to one another.

Julia Johnson
IT- Senior Administrative Assistant
Capital Metro
2910 E. 5th St.