Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:05:21 -0800
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 7:46 AM, Hedden, Sherry <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi:
> I am an Email Management Business Analyst at the Regional Municipality of
> York (in York Region, Ontario, Canada). As a government organization, we
> have a Records Retention Bylaw that governs how long to keep records (of
> which email is a part). My role is to assist users with managing their
> email (the requirement to do so, how to do it and best practices for using
> Outlook 2010).

"we have a Records Retention Bylaw that governs how long to keep records"

I MAY BE over simplifying this but wouldn't your Bylaw tell you HOW LONG TO
KEEP records?

E-mail is a form of information 'conveyance', it is NOT a record series-
you don't schedule email any more than you would schedule envelopes for
physical mail.

Retention is based on the CONTENT of the email messages, so the appropriate
manner to schedule retention is to have the email removed from Outlook to
folders with retention periods set on them, then manage those folders.

If the email is NOT A RECORD, it can be left in Outlook, in the users
"Inbox" or "Outbox" and then deleted after some set time period, many use
180 days (the default on Federal Records for transitory records) but it
shouldn't be 'archived'.

One man's opinion... but as we all know, "It Depends"

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*