Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 23:24:30 -0500
I have been a long time subscriber of this site but just created an account so I
can add to this discussions in this listserv.

A little bit about myself.  I have been a Records Manager at a Fortune 100
company for about 20 years.  For the past 8 years I have been focused on
Electronic Records Mgmt.  I consider myself a pioneer in this field and have
learned a lot in regards to Enterprise Content Mgmt/Records Mgmt.  Why do I
consider myself a pioneer in this topic you might ask.  It is because everything
that I have learned is from trial and error.  While learning this topic there was
not a lot of information out there on how to manage electronic records.  With my
years of experience I have learned that change is constant.  This field is always
evolving.

Records Mgmt is a marriage between Information Technology (business user),
Legal and Records Mgmt.  What I have seen is that the IT area knows nothing
about Records Mgmt and the business user does not want to be bothered with
managing their content.  So IT creates a solution for managing the electronic
Documents and does not give Records Mgmt any thought.  However as time
goes by the IT folks that created the electronic Document solution have moved
onto other projects but yet the electronic Documents/Records remain.  So it is a
struggle from the Records Mgmt. perspective to get people to care/take
ownership of their content.

Lessons I have learned include; File Plans, Taxonomy Mgmt., Search, Security,
Performance and Use Case testing, Quality Assurance, Holds, Functional
Retention Schedules and Disposition.

I am currently at a frustrating point in my career because I do not see growth
regarding new career opportunities and salary raises within my department so I
want to look for other opportunities.  I would like to move into Information
Architecture.  I certainly would appreciate any job titles and sites you would
recommend in my search for a new career.

Thanks