Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2015 09:28:40 -0700
On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 2:55 AM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would only suggest, in your definition for archiving, to change "for
> long-term retention" to just "retention".
>
> Archiving may encompass information with short term value, where volume is
> an issue; or for deduplication purposes.
>
> Likewise, archiving may not include just "older data". Maybe, just say
> "data"?
> <<
>
> I agree with your changes, James. Thanks for your help.
>
> Also, under Backing Up I'm adding: "Retention based on backup rotation."
> And under Archiving I'm adding "Retention based on records retention
> schedule.

And don't forget... you have to backup your archive as well.  =)

I'd think twice about using "backup copy" in your definition because there
is some potential confusion there... combining the terms 'backup' and
'copy' could make some people think they're the same.

And I might add ONLY to this on "Backup":

Purpose:  Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity, ONLY.

Also, you may want to mention the concept of "near line" and "off line"
storage here.  When many people think of "separate data storage', they
think replicated or mirrored devices, which are also spinning disks.
Near/Offline storage generally involve devices that are inactive until
accessed.

Archiving
Definition:
Data archiving is the process of moving data that is no longer actively
used to a separate NEAR-LINE OR OFFLINE data storage device/s for long-term
retention.

And, while this is true, it's also a good place to put 'less frequently
accessed data".  Typically, the access patterns for data are reviewed to
determine if it's a candidate for archiving, so it may not JUST be
'inactive' data.

Attributes:
- Solely for inactive AND INFREQUENTLY ACCESSED data.

--
Larry

*----Lawrence J. MedinaDanville, CARIM Professional since 1972*