Sender:
From:
"John James O'Brien, CRM, MA LT" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 01:19:35 -0400
Something I am not seeing in the discussion in general (not reading
everything, point my to it if I've missed it):  employees opt for
convenient, reliable, hassle free use of technology. It is a rare
organization that delivers on all three counts. In 25+ years of experience,
I have yet to encounter a public or private sector organization that is not
subject to frustrated employees on a time line using personal ICT in one
form or another.

Organizations that permit personal use of organizational devices stand a
better chance of controlling corporate data--but open up many questions and
potential liabilities in relation to what goes on within "personal use".

Institutions subject to privacy and other legislation routinely restrict
employees from using personal email, etc. yet do not limit student or
client, for example, use of gmail/hotmail, etc. accounts--defeating the
purpose (except for covering the rear in liability terms--and any good
lawyer could deal with that).

The problem, it seems to me, is that IT is not delivering on its promise in
ways that meet user needs--within the often conflicting needs of the
corporate body. Surely this is not news. Thoughts?