Sender:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:58:55 -0400
Greetings to all of you serving on the front lines of Records Management
across the States. I thought some of you might be able to help me with
what has become our concern of the day here at the Arizona Library
Archives and Public Records.

Our staff saw the article below this morning, about our own Arizona
Department of Administration, and our jaws dropped because we had no
knowledge that one of our agencies was even considering implementing
this as a new substitution tool for email (Facebook At Work – F@W).

While we have some concerns with Facebook as a tool for creating and
receiving records, we have more initial concerns with F@W, since it is an
employee to employee tool focused on work – which is half of how records
get created and received. (Minus the interaction with the public.) We are
hoping Facebook has incorporated at least some RM tools into F@W, since
Facebook has almost no RM tools.

I’ve done some initial research, but this seems to be a new tool and still in
the Beta / invitation to test stage. But Facebook, plans to roll it out via
Google Play, so it could be coming to a State or Local Agency near you.
Have any of you either heard about F@W, are using it, or have public
bodies in your States that are using it? If so, we would love to be able to
talk with you in more detail about this new tool.

Our main concern is that we don’t know if F@W has any RM tools built into
it for managing and producing public records. We are also concerned about
the question of who owns the content? Other questions that came to mind
were:

How easy is it to retrieve the deleted content?

How are e-Discovery or Public Records Requests handled?

Does the agency follow California statutes or Arizona statutes for disputes?

Are their tools built in for sensitive content sent through posts / messages
(encryption)?

We think this is a good time to get questions answered for applications like
these before agencies decide to use F@W without knowing all the
implications, especially the RM ones.

Here is where the article can be found:

http://ktar.com/story/1147497/out-with-old-in-with-newsfeed-arizona-
department-to-switch-from-email-to-facebook/

Another article published in the Atlantic about "Slack" another collaboration
tool used for email and instant messaging is questioning the tool's ability to
respond to FOIA requests. The article can be found here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/are-slack-
messages-subject-to-foia-requests/429243/

Any help or guidance you can provide will be very much appreciate.

Ruben V