Sender:
From:
mwhaider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2016 23:13:58 -0400
Hi Brett,
In a former life in the late 90's I did manage a review process before
destroying records that had met their eligible destruction date. We sent a
memo to the "owner" (functional department liaison), legal (attorney
assigned as our support liaison for potential litigation), and tax (there
may be tax issues that supersede some destruction decisions).   We asked
for approval within two weeks or a meeting to discuss any issues.  After
1-2 years of running this routine process the timing improved significantly
as our key partners recognized our ability to manage the process
efficiently and accurately.

This process was established as part of a new RIM program that was based on
significant training of department liaisons and department managers.  In
addition, this helped to validate the new Records Retention Schedule.  At
first there was a lot of scepticism, but within the two years we had gained
considerable respect for our processes and developed good working
relationships with our functional departments and key partners.

I like Fred's process, but until you gain the respect and produce solid
results, the review process can be a great vehicle to build rapport
throughout the organization.

Good Luck,

Mary

Mary W. Haider, MBA, CRM
Records & Information Manager and Consultant
865-983-1371