Sender:
From:
Maarja Krusten 2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:45:54 -0400
Thanks very much for mentioning my earlier query about RM ethics cases
studies, Bruce. And thanks, Tod, for the thoughtful post about existing
laws and the use of personal t.email accounts.  I've seen some outside
advocacy commentary that links all use of personal accounts by Federal
officials to known wrong doing.  But from my perspective, such reductive
assertions add to the unacknowledged stress that can lead to such ill
advised choices in the first place. They also diminish "safe harbor" for
candid discussion of why some officials in successive administrations may
struggle with records issues.

As we know, when people struggle to comply with laws, rules and
regulations, they sometimes are signalling "what you're asking of me
doesn't work for me on the job or carries risks I can't articulate."  So
they react, not by turning to RMs or corporate counsel, but by quietly
taking actions of another sort to protect themselves.  That they feel
trapped by legal requirements but can't or won't explain why ramps up risk
for the employing entity, for themselves, and for the RMs and lawyers.

In 2015, I wrote a blog post, "Truth Bomb," at my former blog which looked
at some of the internal stresses that can affect Federal record keeping.
In May of this year, I revised and updated that post for my new blog, *Archival
Explorations*. Some of what I describe in this post makes it harder to find
solutions that work for all stakeholders, from creators of records to
interim end users to final end users (researchers) in archives. I offer no
recommendations, just my perspective on what affects RM solutions.
https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/2017/05/03/truth-bomb/

And some of the scenarios I describe at the link might make good case
studies for RMs, although airing them out may be challenging, as well.

Thanks again!

Maarja
@ArchivesMaarja
Blog:  https://archivalexplorations.wordpress.com/