Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2017 18:39:26 +0000
From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Earl asked, "How involved are you in the decommissioning process?"

Although I am not involved at the level/step you are asking about I did recently create a guide for a client that tells the records liaison (for a component of an organization that has of some 7,000 personnel) the questions relating to records management to ask before signing off on each the ten steps in the software development lifecycle.

Migration and decommissioning considerations and planning issues are first raised in Step 2, Concept Phase.

Decommissioning procedures, including maintaining data/records in accordance with retention schedules as well as data migration, should be well documented and well thought out is covered in Step 9, Operations and Maintenance Phase.

The disposition plan, part of Step 10, Disposition Phase, must include the planning for deliberate and systematic decommissioning of the assets with appropriate considerations for RM. The records management liaison should make sure all appropriate stakeholders are familiar with retention requirements.

In other words, don't wait until that phase in the lifecycle. Become involved up front with the systems lifecycle as well as all along the pathway!  Have a seat at the table. You are (RM/IG is) a critical partner in the process!

Tod Chernikoff, CRM, IGP, CIP
Silver Spring MD
www.twitter.com/tchernik