Sender:
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2017 11:28:33 -0400
Jesse, I'll be very interested in learning how AIIM addresses this topic.

I work for a large 30,000+ employee company and we have been dealing with this for a while.
Our RM team works closely with IT and Legal in order to give us the leverage we need to
address this issue prior to an application being decommissioned.  It is a challenge.  So far we
have created a process when a request is made to decommission they need to fill out a form
to define the types of records, date range of content and indicate whether or not the
information is eligible for destruction as well as let us know if it has been migrated somewhere
else.  We usually have to go back to the requester to get more information because it is
usually someone in IT placing the request and they don't understand the information or the
retention requirements.  So we usually have to figure out who the Records Coordinator is and
get more information so then we can start the approval process.

The big challenge is when the information is not eligible for destruction because the business
area needs to figure out how to migrate the information for long term storage and figure out
where to store it.