Sender:
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2017 08:39:25 -0400
Thanks Donna for the info.

I just wanted to add that Decommissioning is definately a process that needs to be planned
out especially when it comes to unstructured data.  For example, We have been trying to
decommission Lotus Notes for 8 years now and it still hasn't been decommissioned yet.  In
that time we have not allowed the development of new applications within Lotus Notes.
Migrated databases that need to be retained to alternative sources, researched, applied holds
and deleted abandoned db's etc.

We are doing the same for PSTs the first step in the process is to freeze the creation of the
PSTs and then give them a time line for when they need to move their information out of the
PST or just let it delete in the time period we set which is far enough into the future to allow
their business area time to come up with a solution.

SharePoint now that is a beast.  The company stance on this product is that it is not an archive
solution and information needing long term storage should not be saved here.  So for now we
are encouraging users to set up in place retention rules on their sharepoint sites.