Sender:
From:
Seth Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2018 20:58:48 -0400
To the Records Manager Community,

Earlier today, my team sent an email advertising our 26th annual MER Conference.
This was an email that I approved.

In an effort to draw attention to the organizational behavioral phenomena where
one or more departments may not adequately recognize the required
interdependencies or the valuable role of others, we used the phrase "silo
mentality".   We, in no way, intended to imply that it was Records Managers or the
records management community demonstrating this behavior.  Absolutely not!  It
has been read that way and understandably seemed greatly offensive.  I regret
that misunderstanding and I take full responsibility for it.  In hindsight, and
informed by these concerns, I acknowledge better phrasing should have been
used.

The mission of the MER Conference is to serve the Records Management and
Information Governance communities by providing a forum for the exchange of
ideas, best practices and case studies (e.g.; "thought-leadership") in the areas
where records management principles may be affected by new ideas, laws or new
technologies.  We all know that cross-functional and interdepartmental
communication and coordination is critical to success.  We also know, from your
feedback, that not all stakeholders think as collaboratively; that some build walls
(thus the "silo" term).   The intent and learning objectives in the sessions listed in
the email include those to help equip participants in eliminating the walls put up by
others.

I welcome and appreciate all feedback directly or indirectly.

Kind Regards,

Seth F. Williams

President
MER Conference, Inc.