Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 11:56:38 -0500
Comments:
To: RAINbyte <[log in to unmask]>, AIN <[log in to unmask]>, Archivists&Archives <[log in to unmask]>
Can you guess why the U.S. Navy pulled the above tweet less than 24 hours
after posting? No, it’s not because of the emojis. Look closer. Can you see
the battle scene in the far-left panel? You can almost make out the
presence of a red flag with a crescent and star that resembles the Turkish
flag. While it may not have been widely noticed in most of the U.S., the
tweet sparked international outrage on Twitter from Turks, many of whom saw
it as an act of American aggression.

I didn’t know about this tweet’s brief existence or its deletion until I
filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the U.S. Navy. How could I
have? When Donald Trump or a member of Congress deletes a tweet, we know
about it thanks to projects like Politiwoops*, *which systematically keep
track of these developments. But there is no Politwoops equivalent for
Twitter feeds run by U.S. government agencies. So when agencies like the
Defense Intelligence Agency, the Badlands National Park (remember that
account’s brief infamy?), and others delete tweets, many of us never know
about it.
Let’s be clear: These trends didn’t start with the Trump administration.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__slate.me_2qEyaNQ&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=RAYkOJtdEdp_DamcrmPXuhIM2OwzqFJrc_hOhzC-asI&s=pbzMFJ5ajtY0B1zc8Tgo8aLHudYpV8W6RBWOgE6ReQE&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__slate.me_2qEyaNQ-2B&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=b5NZPQUb9_r2rQ3Zd74ATT3aSs9yKyRnJLOhqJvd7fE&m=RAYkOJtdEdp_DamcrmPXuhIM2OwzqFJrc_hOhzC-asI&s=OBceqCtByOfMr1UfoEKSLMaKBzBbAj7LRWZC_dFOt-o&e=

--
Peterk
Dallas, Tx