From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:13:31 -0700
Chris, if I can respond without pretending to be a lawyer, I will be a
happy camper.

I think key to the scenario you describe is the establishment of a
trustworthy records keeping system. You describe such a system being
developed to shadow a database or an ERP because they are not
trustworthy records keeping systems (presumably because their contents
are so volatile). The records keeping system into which you are
capturing data is functioning in full accordance with appropriate legal
requirements, including disposition. Your organization has established,
by policy and practice, the trustworthiness of this system. Admittedly,
there is still information in the ERP/database after records may be
disposed of from the records keeping system, but the question is - how
trustworthy is the information as evidence (evidence being a different,
broader subject than records)?

When we destroy records, we also don't attempt to destroy people's
memories of events, transactions, etc...that may be associated with
those records. That memory may be called upon in certain legal
proceedings, but its value as evidence will be weighed accordingly,
based on the trustworthiness of the source (memory, or ERP/database). It
would seem to me that you are raising the same kind of issue. Note also
that this is nothing new: for a long time now we have had the existence
of trusted hard copy records keeping systems shadowing database and
mainframe systems in much the same way you describe.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records & Distribution Services Manager
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronic & Distribution Services
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741
fax: (503)988-3754