From:
Lorie Mcaleb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:52:54 -0700
I'd like to reply to Dwight's email regarding electronic records and
their retention. I was in IT/IS for many years managing a 24 x7 group
that handled the backups for my company. I was well aware of the lack of
proper retention since I worked closely with our Records department on
tape storage, off site storage, etc. I transferred to a Records position
to deal with the problems associated with electronic records.

You are right, IT/IS sees the data is being backed up, but they are not
concerned with the legal requirements for data retention, unless their
customer makes a special request. To bridge this problem I have been
working with System managers to define customer's needs and data
retention at the onset of a new server implementation, inventorying
database data to ensure archived data has the proper retention and
retrieval processes, and working with individual groups to ensure their
data has the proper retention for long term storage.

I have read several Listserv emails indicating the problems associated
with electronic data is ownership. IT/IS groups do not want to take on
the ownership of the data since they are usually supplying a service to
another group. I think it will always remain the ultimate responsibility
of Records Managers to ensure the data has the proper retention. This
will require the expansion of knowledge into electronic records or
finding IS person's to cross over to the Records Management.
Just my 2 cents! Thanks,

Lori McCaleb
Records IS Project Lead
Micron Technology, Inc.