From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:05:04 -0700
Thanks to Peter for this posting, it was an interesting article and a useful
review of the fairly recent move to enterprise roll-outs of ECM.  But, I have
excerpted a late paragraph to show a final conclusion that looks a little
suspect to me. (underlined)

It is news to me that the battle tested "relational database" is going to become
the foundation for Enterprise Content Management and not file systems.

I had though that business functional models as a framework and the use of
hybrid taxonomies was the better approach for corporate deployment.  Has anyone
EVER seen an RDBMS structure used in a corporate wide classification of
unstructured data?  Enlighten me!  If this is a new approach I would love to see
an example.

CONTENT Management for Everyone
Line 56 News - USA
... First, the regulatory requirements for broad-based content retention
and control highlighted ... large automotive company found a 20-year old
document that exposed ...
www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=6337

So, What Does Content Management For Everyone Look Like?
First of all, it's really easy to use because everyone has to figure it out --
imagine something even your most technologically-challenged executive would be
able to use. The goal must be not to change they way users work, but instead
blend the functionality into familiar environments, since any system that
provides even a small barrier for users will likely fail to capture the content.
Second, it should be cheap to manage and run and be immensely scalable because
you'll soon have terabytes of content once you start taking control of it. And
it should be cheap to implement and have good co-existence capabilities since
almost every company already has some specialized content management application
in-house that completes a valuable business process.
"Last, there's a growing consensus among industry analysts and enterprises that
the battle-tested relational database (not file systems) now provides the right
foundation for any true enterprise-scalable unstructured data management
strategy -- just like the database has provided for structured content for
decades."
Harald P.F. Collet is principal product manager, Records Management and
Compliance Support Products for Oracle Corp. He is responsible for product
definition and strategy as well as worldwide go-to-market and customer programs.
Additionally, he works closely with Oracle's legal and corporate affairs teams
and drives a company-wide regulatory compliance initiative. He is a member of
the Association for Information Management Professionals, the American Records
Management Association (ARMA), as well as the Sedona Conference Working Group on
Electronic Discovery and Production.
 Regards
Jim

Jim Connelly