From:
"Converse, Joseph Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:15:32 -0500
Sue,  I'm not sure you'll find a three part example such as you're seeking, which seems to me to perhaps mix the concept of subject classication with functional classification.  My organization has gone from a departmental to a functional method of scheduling records, which has worked very well for us.  I wouldn't know how to begin to formulate a subject classification scheme (in the sense of a taxonomy/Dewey Decimal sort of meaning of classification) that would function as a records schedule, since records are created and maintained in the normal course of business and that usually means either by office or by function (and I much prefer by function to avoid all the issues with re-organizations mentioned by other respondants.).   Groups of records below the functional level might, however, be arranged by subject, such as:

Congressman Jane Doe--
    Constituant Services--
        Correspondence--
            Appointments to West Point
            Health issues
            Invitations
            Roads
            Taxes
            Visas
            West Point, Appointments to

Thus the functional approach is used down to the level below "Correspondence" (the management of which is itself an office function) and then there might be "subject files".  And here the need for a taxonomy of some sort will quickly manifest itself (or not as demonstrated in the case of "Appointments to West Point" and "West Point, Appointments to").  How to control these terms is a taxonomy/indexing issue, but not a records scheduling issue.

Anyway, good luck.  I'd be interesting in seeing such a tripartate example if you find one.

Regards,

Tom

J. Thomas Converse, CA, CRM
Chief, Records Management Section