From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:48:19 -0700
While I hate it when Chris argues with himself publicly, I must agree with
both of him on this issue.
 As Peter cited earlier, there are many valid reasons to maintain copies of
older versions of policies to re-evaluate as workers leave an organization
and claims are made related to past policies in effect when they were hired.

 And as Chris mentions, these are "Superseded", and it's not uncommon for an
organization's retention policy to have two entries...
 - one for current policies and procedures, with a retention period that
says "retain until superseded" and a disposition authority that says "retain
superseded copies for reference permanently"
 - one for superseded policies and procedures , with a retention period that
says "retain until dissolution of company" and a disposition authority that
says "offer to successor companies, as appropriate"
 Larry