From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:36:47 -0400
On 6/6/05, Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My feeling is that managers should have discretion in destroying documents ...
> copies, unneeded drafts etc.  and that listing of everything that hits the
> shredder might just be overkill in this instance.  (It wouldn't be high on my
> daily priority list.) Would not posting of what is in fact transitory above the
> shredders be sufficient?  Should we not trust staff at some point.

I've read the entire article and am a bit confused. The writer uses
the term archivist and records manager interchangeably.. This
paragraph states

<snip>
The A.C.L.U. allows for document shredding but has policies for
recording what is destroyed that predate recent changes in the law,
nad it has HISTORICALLY PLACED GREAT EMPHASIS ON PRESERVING RECORDS.
Its policy lists specific types of documents -- including duplicate
records and outside publications -- that can be destroyed without
creating a record. For other materials, employees are instructed to
contact the archives.
<snip>

I can understand the need for retention of historical records, but is
the 'policy' mentioned in the above 'graph a retention schedule or
just a policy?

<snip>
Under the A.C.L.U.'s policy, employees deposit documents, disks and
other files slated for destruction in locked bins in their
departments. They are required to complete and sign a form next to the
box, describing what they have deposited.
A contractor collects the bins each month and shreds the contents
under the watch of an A.C.L.U. records manager, who then countersigns
the sheets to confirm the destruction.
<snip>

Now I have a fundamental problem with the above procedure. Where is
the review to make sure that the documents/records are not needed for
litigation, audit or tax purposes. Does the records manager review the
listing prior to destruction? Or do they just observe and verify the
destruction? What controls are in place to verify what is being
destroyed? What is the difference between this and the personal
shredders?

The executives state in the article that the personal shredders were
used to shred documents containing Social Security numbers, salary
information and other information held in the finance and
administration areas. "The records managers attempted to impose  a
system similar to the one used for the locked bins, putting document
destruction  sheets next to all the shredders..."

I highly recommend that all records managers read this article

Peterk