From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:18:27 -0700
For paper records, I've seldom used spacers. We've made it a habit not
to have grossly underfilled boxes, but have never seen a need for
spacers.

Microfilm and microfiche (and CDs now) tend to have some different
constraints. With fiche, acid-free paper can be used as spacers, or the
archival spacers noted elsewhere. With roll film and CDs, you're really
trying to prevent the containers from rattling around in the box, so as
long as the film is boxed and the CDs are in jewel cases, you can used
about anything that is not going to off-gas something as a spacer. The
key with non-paper media is really having proper boxes sized for the
media.

Spacers do tend to be used more extensively in archives with paper
records.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM