From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:24:37 -0700
Larry Medina said:
>The concept of a "cleanout" in RIM, whether it's physical or digital format
>records is a bad thing in most cases.   Destruction of records is supposed
>to be an orderly process, based on the values assigned in the retention
>schedule.

>Every time I hear of someone having a "records cleanout day", I think of
>things like what happened in the Andersen Case, or in the Iran/Contra case.
>or other such situations where things were inappropriately discarded.

Yes, I would agree, for most cases anyway.  The idea of a cleanup has bad
connotations.  I watched enough of the Anderson hearings on C-Span to cringe
at the mention of the term.

Some organizations, thought, are just now getting that "old time" records
management religion.  SOX requirements and litigation (to name a few
reasons) are forcing companies to hire records managers and implement a
program.  A retention schedule was a figment of their imagination.  But now
they have one and want to begin using it.

For these organizations, I'd say an initial records cleanup is probably a
good thing; they have to start somewhere.  I know some organizations focus
on paper during the first round and take on electronic records later.

Anyway you do it, the process should have a comprehensive action plan and
the destruction well documented.  When completed, there shouldn't be a doubt
in any one's mind (as much as possible, anyway) that the organization
performed the cleanup with the intention of conducting periodic disposals as
part of their normal course of business in accordance with the retention
schedule.

Where organizations get into trouble is when they state they have a process
in place, document it and yet fail to follow through or do so haphazardly.
I've seen this occur with RM, contracting, accounting and other business
functions.  Consistency and follow through is the key.

My opinion my own...

Bruce L. White, MBA, CRM, PMP