Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:36:49 -0700
Well said Ginny.

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting

-----Original Message-----
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Jones, Virginia
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Competencies for Records and Information Professionals - Links

<and the CRM, which seems essentially to recognize experience and training
that people have got on the job (something like an apprenticeship model,
rather than formal education)> <I also understand that the role of the CRM,
as it is based on practical experience, is a useful complement to the first
task, even though it is really only recognized in the US and Canada.>

I don't quite agree with Sue's evaluation of the certification.  Higher
education is required for acceptance as a candidate.  In rare cases,
experience may be considered in lieu of a full degree, but the experience
must be in a managerial, analytical, or teaching position - not entry level
or apprenticeship or clerical levels.  One of the reasons experience is
considered is the lack of formal RIM education opportunities, especially in
North America.  I understand that the U.K.
model of certification is based on educational credentials more that
experience, but even that model recognizes a professional body of work such
as research and publishing, as does the ICRM.

As a member of the ICRM Board of Regents and Regent for Exam Administration
for the past 4 years, I have to say that the certification IS becoming more
recognized outside North America.  We have seen increased interest
throughout the Caribbean and a major push by Japanese RIM professionals
toward offering the certification in Japan.  We currently have candidates
testing in Jamaica, Barbados, Japan, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, South
Africa, and Trinidad.  While we have been hindered in the past by manual
processes, the ICRM is going through major change to overcome these past
obstacles.

I also believe the RIM profession as a whole has, in the past, not
considered itself to be a major player in business and government -
something that we, individually, have to change to have our profession more
universally recognized AS a profession.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager